Understanding Alcohol Addiction
Alcohol addiction can be a cunning, baffling and powerful disease, driving an obsession and compulsion to continue drinking despite the negative consequences. But there is hope and you’re not alone. At South Pacific Private, we’re committed to supporting you on a pathway to recovery.
We understand the pain of the addiction process – the loneliness, isolation, shame and fear. Whether it’s binge drinking or daily drinking, alcohol addiction cuts across all age groups, backgrounds, ethnicities and genders.
Indicators Of Alcohol Addiction
Do you relate to one or more of these?
- Denial: Do you have trouble accepting the reality of the negative impacts that continued drinking is having on your life?
- Physical dependence: Do you find yourself experiencing intense cravings for alcohol, or symptoms of withdrawal such as nausea, sweating, shakes, and anxiety when you stop drinking?
- Increasing tolerance: Do you need to drink increasing amounts of alcohol, or different types of drinks, in order to feel the same effects?
- Impaired control: Do you find it challenging to limit the amount you drink, even when you’ve made a conscious decision to restrict your alcohol intake?
- Powerlessness: Do you promise family and friends that you will stop drinking only to find you are unable to stop? Do you promise yourself you will stop drinking only to find you can’t?
Alcohol addiction can present in different ways for different people. It can manifest as either regular or habitual drinking characterised by drinking alcohol on a daily or near daily basis, or binge drinking or ‘heavy episodic drinking’, characterised by occasions of heavy alcohol use followed by periods of alcohol-free days or weeks in between.
If you’re concerned you may have a problem with alcohol, you can use our self-assessment tool here to gain a better understanding of whether key indicators of addiction apply to your situation. To schedule a free, confidential, professional phone assessment, call our team seven days a week on 1800 063 332.
Your pathway to recovery
South Pacific Private is recognised as Australia’s leading treatment centre for addictions. We focus not only on treating the immediate issue of alcohol dependence, but the underlying causes.
We understand that relationship issues, financial pressure, mental and physical deterioration, emotional distress and legal concerns are common results of a problematic relationship with alcohol, and these stress factors only make the problem more difficult for individuals to resolve.
In a safe and compassionate environment offering medically supervised detoxification options and evidence-based therapies, South Pacific Private offers a space to heal, find hope and begin a journey of recovery.