Book An Assessment
If you or someone you care about is suffering from addiction, trauma or mental health issues and would benefit from one of our programs please call our Intake Team on 1800 063 332 to schedule an appointment time to complete an over the phone assessment. The assessment takes between 30-45 minutes, is free of charge, confidential and obligation free. During the assessment we will complete a health fund check and discuss any out of pocket expenses with you.
After The Assessment
Upon discussion with you and our clinical team a recommendation will be made including which program is best suited for your circumstances and history. An admission date will be provided; you will need a referral from your GP or Psychiatrist. Your intake co-ordinator will be able to answer any questions.
On arrival, introduce yourself to our reception team, who will be expecting you. For after-hours admissions, please press the buzzer at the front door and one of our team will be there shortly to welcome you.
On arrival our reception staff or admissions coordinator will go through your admission paperwork including:
- Confirming your health insurance cover
- Admitting your GP/psychiatrist referral form
- Completing your admission forms
- Taking your $200 deposit for pharmaceutical needs during your stay (any unused deposit is refundable)
Nursing staff will then conduct a luggage check and show you to your room, and direct you to your GP appointment.
What To Expect
South Pacific Private is a safe and nurturing community. Clients are guided on a journey of recovery by examining the underlying causes of addiction and co-occurring disorders. This may include facing difficult and painful events and emotions, healing from emotional trauma and dealing with issues of grief and loss.
One of the key aims of treatment is for clients to become aware of and accountable for their own feelings, thoughts and behaviours and ultimately their own recovery. In order to achieve this, we ask clients to disengage from any distraction so they can shift their focus to self-discovery and begin healing.
The health and safety of all members of the community is paramount, so there are some guidelines and boundaries that we require clients to follow to limit their exposure to anything which may trigger clients into their past trauma and addictive behaviours. For example, we don’t permit access to TV, mobile phones or the internet, and we have a modest dress code.
In line with NSW Health mandates, South Pacific Private is a smoke-free environment. Our program is abstinence based – we provide a clinically supervised detox and it is the ideal opportunity to support healthy living ideals which extends to a caffeine-free and low sugar diet. The rationale behind these guidelines is also related to distraction and what we as human beings typically “use” to regulate our emotions. Another key aim of treatment at South Pacific Private is to learn how to self-soothe and better regulate strong emotions and triggers without relying on potentially addictive substances and behaviours.
Confidentiality is essential for the emotional safety of South Pacific Private clients and further, health regulations dictate that any sensitive client information is held securely and only accessed by professionals for clinical reasons.
As a private hospital, we keep your details strictly confidential. Everyone entering South Pacific Private is asked to sign a confidentiality pledge, a pledge which is re-confirmed at every therapy session by both clients and staff.
Staff are not permitted to contact anyone on your behalf or accept incoming calls from anyone without your written consent. You will be asked to provide contact details for your designated contact/next of kin and medical professional in case of emergency and any friends or family members you wish to connect with or receive messages from.
South Pacific Private is a fully licensed and accredited hospital with accommodation designed for optimum therapeutic benefit. Supervised shared accommodation (single sex) helps alleviate issues of isolation or avoidance and ensures clients engage with the therapeutic community. Private rooms are allocated for clinical reasons, for example, loud snoring or night terrors, or COVID isolation. While every effort is taken to minimise inconvenience for clients, on occasion, clients may be asked to move rooms during their stay.
South Pacific Private is located close to Curl Curl Beach and clients with medical clearance are encouraged to enjoy a beach walk twice-a-day. We also provide yoga as part of the program. Swimming is permitted in the warmer months (Nov – April) as part of our Walk and Wade Program. Please note appropriate swimwear is required to participate (board shorts, full piece swimsuits and rash vests).
One of our key treatment objectives is to ask clients to deal with strong emotions without distraction and because high-impact exercise can also be addictive, it is not permitted for therapeutic reasons.
Your Time With Us
When you have been admitted and your medical needs have been addressed with the GP, within 72 hours you will be introduced to the psychiatrist overseeing your care, who will outline your care plan and monitor your progress throughout your stay. Behind the scenes, your Psychiatrist, GP, nursing staff, primary therapist and case manager will meet every week to discuss your treatment progress and agree on your individual program. This is known as your MDS team.
Orientation And Settling In
Depending on your situation, the first couple of days are usually spent in detox or rest, while you gently get used to your new surroundings. We will explain the program, how it works and provide you with your client manual and other information and material you will need.
When you are ready, you will join your primary group and community activities for immersion in the program.
What To Bring
Things you must bring for admission:
- GP or psychiatrist referral form – signed and complete Note: no admission will be permitted without this form
- Medicare card
- Health fund card/book
- Pension or concession card
- Credit Card or minimum cash deposit of $200 for pharmaceuticals. Note: Unused amount is fully refundable Credit Card payments are subject to a 1 – 3% merchant fee
- Sufficient funds for transport home – airline ticket, taxi fare etc. Note: for your welfare, admission is not permitted without this
- Consent to use information form
- Emergency contact details – next of kin, designated carer, emergency contact
- Consent to communicate contact details – Friends or family who may contact you, or who you may wish to call while at South Pacific Private
- Medications as prescribed by your Doctor (if required)
Suggested personal items:
- A watch with an alarm (no smart watches allowed)
- Limited amount of cash for incidentals such as
- $1 coins for the washing machines
- Stationery, pen, stamps
- List of phone numbers and addresses of people you wish to be in touch with (you will not have access to your mobile phone)
- A baby picture or youngest picture of you available
- Your own pillow (optional)
- Water bottle
- Photos of loved ones
- Ear plugs
- Your favourite quilt (optional)
Please Pack Casual, Comfortable Clothing Such As:
- Weatherproof jackets and jumpers
- Jeans, chinos and comfortable pants
- Flat shoes, sandshoes, sandals, thongs or sliders
- Shirts, t-shirts and sweatshirts
- Shorts, skirts and dresses must all cover the knee (or be worn with leggings beneath)
- Pyjamas and dressing gown, thongs or slippers
- Loose clothing for beach walks and yoga
- Sunglasses (for outdoor use only)
- Hats, caps and beanies (for outdoor use only)
- Appropriate swimwear (Nov to April) (board shorts, full piece swimsuits, rash vests and beach towel).
We Ask That The Following Clothing Items NOT Be Worn:
- Clothing with suggestive messages or imagery, or sporting team specific messages/branding
- Sleeveless tops such as singlets, halter tops, spaghetti straps and thin strapped tank tops that exposes a persons’ undergarments or chest
- High heel shoes or bare feet
- Extra tight, revealing or transparent garments
- Clothing with slits or cut-out areas
- Towels are not to be used as clothing to and from the bathroom and to and from beach
- Personal toiletries in original bottles (such as soap, toothbrush and toothpaste)
- Mouthwash (must be alcohol-free)
- Roll-on deodorant – no aerosols permitted
- Electric or disposable razors
- Nail clippers, emery boards
- List of medications from your Doctor
- Medications as prescribed by your Doctor must be in original, sealed, unopened packaging
- Vitamins and supplements must be sealed and in original packaging
- Nicotine replacement therapy: Lozenges, Patches, and Nicabate strips
- E-cigarettes, NRT spray and gum are NOT permitted
- If your medication is deemed suitable by your GP and psychiatrist, it will be administered by nursing at regular medication times
What Not To Bring
Therapeutically, we want you to be fully present in the program, so we limit any activity which has the potential for distraction. The safety of every person is paramount and the following items could be harmful, or might interfere with the healing process for you, or other members of the community.
Drugs And Alcohol
No drugs or alcohol may be brought into or consumed on the premises. Failure to comply may result in immediate discharge. Perfume, aftershave, mouthwash containing alcohol and other liquids containing alcohol, are not permitted.
Sharp Or Dangerous Objects
Open razor blades, scissors, pins, metal nail files, mirrors, glass objects, weapons and flammable agents (including aerosols), knitting or crochet needles.
Radios, MP3 players, laptops, tablets, video games, e-readers, smart watches and Fitbits. Note: mobile phones and pagers will be placed in contraband for the duration of your inpatient treatment.
Newspapers, novels, magazines and other literature (other than books on self-help or spirituality)
Personal hairdryers, hair straighteners, curling wands, hair clippers, home waxing kits, hair dyes or hot water bottles are not permitted. Note: South Pacific Private provides hairdryers on request
In order to keep all of the community safe, nursing staff will conduct a luggage check in your presence on admission. This is to ensure any contraband items as outlined above are not available during your stay. Contraband items will be safely stored and returned to you on discharge.
Other Useful Information
Laundry & Housekeeping
$1 coin-operated washing machines, dryers, soap powder and ironing boards are available for use. Out of respect to your roommates, we ask that you keep your bedroom areas tidy, and make your bed.
Please do not to bring expensive jewellery or items of value. A safe is available for each client, however, South Pacific Private does not take responsibility for your belongings.
Staying In Touch
In order to ensure you are fully engaged in your treatment, we request that calls to loved ones are kept to a minimum. Parents with young children are permitted a short call daily and calls to a spouse or loved ones are limited to two per week.
Incoming mail should be marked to your attention and addressed to South Pacific Private, 24 Beach St, Curl Curl, NSW 2096. All parcels are checked by staff in your presence.
Phone messages, letters and faxes received by loved ones for whom you have provided consent will be passed onto you as soon as possible. Email exchange is not permitted.
Clients will be offered a Virtual Visit with their loved ones between 2:00pm and 3:00pm on the second Sunday of their admission to South Pacific Private. Clients will be given temporary access to their phones, or may use an SPP device to contact their loved ones via FaceTime, ZOOM, WhatsApp or their preferred video calling platform.
Please note that in-person visits are not permitted at South Pacific Private due to COVID at this point in time.
Getting To South Pacific Private
24 Beach Street, Curl Curl NSW 2058
In the interests of neighbourhood relations, parking on Beach Street for South Pacific Private clients and visitors is not permitted. For admission, please drop loved ones and luggage to the front door, and if no spots are available, please find parking on the neighbouring street, Carrington Parade. There is no provision for car parking for in-patient clients at South Pacific Private and we ask that no car is parked on Beach Street, or neighbouring streets for the duration of your visit.
To see our parking options at South Pacific Private click here.
Navigate To Other About Us Pages
Take A Self-Assessment
The goal of our self-tests is not to provide you with a diagnosis for yourself or for someone you care about. Instead, they are an opportunity for you to better understand how a behaviour might be impacting upon your life or the life of your family. Use these tests to enhance your awareness of what the problem might be.
These tests should be answered honestly in order to provide accurate insight and are a chance for you to reflect upon the current situation.